Tuesday, May 11, 2010

the X-MEN

SO.... I finally completed the download of the complete animated series of the X-Men last night. Very excited.
Does anyone else find it as interesting as me when your mystical childhood recollections are burst by revisiting something you once had a deep emotional attachment towards? It reminds me of the effects of a chemical we have when we are younger (can't remember the name of it)-- but it operates within our brain to make sensory experiences deeply intense when we are young. Ill have to do some research on that.

Anyway, the social philosophy of the X-Men is still quite relevant. In the first episode, Jubilee is sought out by a government agency that wishes to marginalize mutants (social deviants)/(insert your own marginalized group). Dr. Xavier is forced to see flaws in his blind optimism that though they are met with hostility by non-mutants, reason alone is not enough to break the hostile barrier into peace and co-existence.
As sort of a criticism to my own ideals, Magneto (in opposition to Xavier) views mutants as the next link in the chain of a superior human race (insert Nietzsche's Ubermench). It is the expression of the superior mutant force that should reign and direct the future evolution of the human species. [Bridge my ideals here with vulnerability.... ]

Xavier goes into the mental barriers of Sabretooth in episode 3. The animation is quite a bit outdated, but the concept of Xavier fighting with Sabretooth, inside his mind, against the monstrous subjects and manifestations of his personal emotional barriers to an enlightened understanding of himself and the world is still socially relevant. It is so amazing to see how the real, layered meaning of this series can go lost on a child but still hold a powerful sway over them, only to lose some of its luster in its rediscovery as an adult EVEN in light of now grasping its total and very relevant meanings.

I guess I just cant get past a lot of the cheese-ball lines and unimpressive animated effects given the technological progress we have made since 1988-1993. We can demonstrate so much more with technology in and of concepts nowadays with just the impartation of images, and their organization. I ripped Iron Man 2 a couple nights ago as it got released in Russia apparently. The development of even our movie special effects seems to bring the realization to us that our science is not that far off. You'll see what I am talking about if you go see the movie and observe what kind of an office Robert Downey Jr.'s character has to operate with. Science fiction has its way of speaking/writing technological advancements into our dreams and therefore into existence.

Aaaaand..... with that this may be my last blog. Time is coming to a close, and I am out of steam. I have been pressing so hard these last days that I just want to relax for a bit and enjoy the peaceful, stress-less reflection of a semester that still has more to teach me as I continue to remember it.

I have loved this blogging thing.... and I will definitely read all the writings of the class that I haven't gotten to yet and post comments as I am inspired. I'll probably even keep posting a thing here and there even though the grading is over.

It has been nice to know all of you, as the class room and library has allowed, and am only sorry my busyness hasn't allowed me to invest into your personal thoughts and lives more as I had hoped and planned at the beginning of the semester.

Maybe in the future...

~Sterling

No comments:

Post a Comment