Monday, May 10, 2010

An Agnostic's Application of a Bible Passage, Or "Noted While Reading"


first chapter of proverbs starting with verse 19

"So are the ways of everyone that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof...How long , ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning and fools hate knowledge? Turn you at my reproof; behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
Because I have called, and ye refused; I have streatched out my hand, and no man regarded;
But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof...
When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; They shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
For they that hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord;
They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
Therefore they shall eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices."

Noted while reading:
What struck me here is that it seems especially tragic, and poignantly bleak for our country's future, to find so many pursuers of "higher education" mired in a paradigm that confounds "greedy gain" with lifelong habits of self justification. Choreographed conversations that dance to gimmicky tunes characteristic of power plays and "who's who" gossip, these leverage games are symptomatic of a bed-ridden people, a people made so sick by the putrid cloud of inherited ideas, that most will never see that their lives were spent lying down boasting of bedsores. And what sort of contribution is this?
This is not to discount the value of ambitious people hungry to put good information to better uses . . . I am one such person. It just so happnes that "Lovers of simplicity" and the haters of Knowledge are made so by a betrayal of their own ambitions. Ambition and good intention have always been tools available to the inept and confused in order to make very large messes. Their tradegy is one of details: Their greed is a love of systems, their useful information is pulled from synthetic ideas-- shadows on the wall of a cave-- and their hatred is for you and me. We are the living Knowledge, a fleshy counterpoint to technological convieniance, the foil of every carefully constructed appearance; we are what they passionately construct out of surrogate materials having wrestled the reality from none of us. Lovers of simplicity pay us homage in this sense; frustration is the mark of the latter while the former boast of their comforts.
Sustained on the fruit of their own ways, the fruit born of critical human examination burns as it disagrees in the stomach. Devices, which always succeed in reducing the world into manageable parts, neatly dice and cube our flesh with precise edges. As a function of something's or someone's utility, humanity can only be as human as hierarchically stacked flesh. Those that inherit their thoughts and methods, never to consider them beyond the promise to yeild certain results, end up disfiguring the best of all possible contributions to our world when they choose quick understanding over the more painful and careful pursuits of self examination.
When the quicker becomes the better, satisfaction is planned around and through the inconvieniances that other people offer, and a deep knowledge of ourselves suddenly seems mysterious if not completely irrelevant to how we've decided a life should be constructed. Soon, we will not recognize ourselves because we will no longer seek the window to knowledge in another's eyes where the truest and most painful of our reflections wait.

1 comment: